Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Tony's Restaurant and Pizzeria

    One of our favorite destinations for pizza and great Italian food is Tony's Restaurant and Pizzeria in E. Stroudsburg Pa.  Tony's and I go way back to the 1960's when Tony and his brother opened a pizzeria in the old Edwards Sporting Goods store (my first baseball mitt was purchased here)  in the Fenner building on Crystal St.  It was located across the alley opposite East Stroudsburg Hardware.  The back of my dad's tv store was directly behind the hardware store.  Many trips for lunch and dinner were made to Tony's.  A slice and soda was .50 cents back then.  When PNC bank purchased the corner property to build a drive up and parking lot Tony's moved up to 57 Crystal St. with the Town Clock moving  to the Boro building.
      My first slice of pizza was at Teddy's Tavern when it was located almost under the Inter-Boro bridge.  It was wiped out in the 1955 flood and relocated on 2nd street at its present location.  I was treated by my Aunt Arlene and cousin Linda.  The pizza was hot and a little burnt on the bottom, but tasted good.  Over the years pizzerias came and went.  Some of my favorites were Leggeries (the best sausage pizza ever), Albinos, The Square Bar, and Gargone's Bakery (I use to pass the bakery on my walk home from school and would get a slice or a brownie).  My good friend Jules Kniolek and I would even drive to Old Forge (before rt. 80) to a  restaurant name Reba's for a square homemade pizza in the famous Old Forge style. We would buy a few of them and have them for breakfast the next day.  Tony's has remained one of the best!
      We dine at Tony's regularly and I like the manicotti, stuffed shells and the antipasto is tasty.  You can get half portions of the meals.   Sometimes I will get a half portion and order a meatball with it.  The mussels are also very good.  Great cheesesteaks and subs.  You can't go wrong with anything on the menu.
       Tony's is clean and Armando always has a good sense of humor.  No more waitress service, but the food comes out fast and hot.  We always see friends and locals there.  Sometimes we take a bottle of wine for special celebrations.  For take out you can call 570-424-0911.  If you haven't been there give them a try!     
    

No comments:

Post a Comment